Monday, October 14, 2002

Nothing like having a fat dog to make you feel guilty...I slimmed him down (somewhat) this summer, after he got fat from eating puppy chow too long. A regular hiking regimen did the trick, and worked well with my schedule, just take him after I got home from work, since its too hot to walk him much before 6 or so in the summer. But now school's started, the days are shorter, and Tanner's just not getting the exercise he needs. I've got swimming lessons twice a week, I'm trying to get up a routine kayaking on Sundays, and Tanner is falling to the wayside. And I have a rolly-polly puppy to greet me when I get home to remind me what a horrible person I am. I'm taking him up Cowles Mt. tomorrow after work (that's about 3 miles round trip, moderately steep), dark or not. I used to climb it from time to time around midnight with my old roommate, when I worked evenings, and she worked the night shift, so our biological clocks were used to that sort of thing, so I don't mind the dark, and Tanner's as sure-footed as a mountain goat day or night. The only problem is its rather rocky terrain, I have to watch my footing in the dark, and Tanner tries to barrel down the mountain, so the whole way down I have visions of my head cracked open on a rock, with my coyote-ravaged remains to be discovered the following morning by an early-bird hiker. But I suppose the fear's part of the fun. It's walking the dog...TO THE EXTREME!!!

I reek...I should really go bathe...

No comments: