Thursday, October 17, 2002

I saw Secretary last night, and enjoyed it immensely. First off, its not particulary dirty, if that's been keeping you from seeing it. It seems like Indie films presenting the coming-together of two rather unhinged individuals whom eventually find their own quixotic brand of love come out every weekend. This is the first I've seen in a long time that could tell the story with humor and compassion, and make a viewer like myself who never particulary understood the impulse to self-mutilation or D/S role-playing sympathize with the characters. I didn't care for the final act, especially Lee's public "hunger strike" and the stream of people coming through to pass or withhold judgement on her. I would've much rather they kept their relationship between themselves, though I imagine a filmmaker feels an obligation to provide as much conflict as possible. It's still a great film, though, and the opening scene alone is a classic.

No comments: