Wednesday, October 30, 2002

How come, when I'm walking and I hear someone shout my name, I get excited, even though its almost a guarantee I'm not going to be happy to see whoever it is? Today it was Al, a homeless guy who used to come into the theatre I worked at before the Cove, and was a sort of mascot (not to be disparaging) until, by virtue of his lack of social skills and willingness to ramble on for hours and ask annoying questions, managed to alienate about everyone at the theatre and was eventually banned. Actually, I wasn't unhappy to see him, just knew it would be difficult to get away and that I would be late for class (which I wasn't unhappy about, either). Somewhat annoying to have him relay "news" about the Cove he got from the newspaper article which I had already read and which I knew before reading. But I was glad he's okay, and funny to hear gossip about people from the Village I worked with about four years ago. Al can be a nuisance, but he's also a reminder of my early days in the motion picture exhibition industry, before the Cove, and of the fun times that are usually overshadowed by my fond memories of the cove. Besides, I was more happy to see Al than I was the other guy who called out my name and said hello as I walked across campus, since I have no idea who he was. I know so few people, you'd think I could remember them.

No comments: