Friday, October 25, 2002

My econ class adjurned early to facilitate handing out the mid-terms, so with extra time I decided to have a nice sit-down meal at Round Table for a change. I get my food and sit down, when the "breaking news" logo on the big-screen TV grabs my eye. I wouldn't have moved (I've had enough sniper news), had I not seen the Minnesota logo. Paul Wellstone, wife and daughter dead in plane crash. Absolutely shocking beyond words, a terrible loss of a great man. I just sent him a few bucks this weekend via Move On. The only Democrat in a tight race to vote against Bush's Iraq resolution. Most of my lunch is now in a bag in my knapsack getting cold. I tend not to get too enraptured with politicians these days, and surely Wellstone wasn't perfect. But he was the best we had in the legislature, and will be deeply missed. I'm stunned. With the string of death and destruction on the news, I really didn't need this rotten cherry topper. Okay, that metaphor is horrible, I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

No comments: