Friday, October 25, 2002

I send this e-mail to some friends, meant to say about the same thing I'd already posted here, but it became more of a rant, so I thought I would post it here as well:

What an unpleasant day. I get out of econ early, decide to have a nice sit-down meal for a change, and as I sit down and begin to eat, the "breaking news" logo catches my eye. I wouldn't have moved to watch it had I not seen the Minnesota logo. Horrible news. 51 Senators, and its the only one with reelection in jeopardy who voted against invading Iraq alone, that's the one who dies? I guess it doesn't matter, the Democratic party proved itself useless yet again, and its just a question of when, now. But hey, maybe Wellstone could've voted against invading North Korea next year, or Afganistan when it spirals out of control thanks to the American-armed Taliban (oops). Gotta fight the Soviets, how many Americans did they kill? John Birch the only name that springs to mind, though there were probably more (spies mostly, and they get what they deserve). Okay, I'm ranting a bit, I'm just upset that the Democrats are going along with a plan to kill Americans and Iraqis with no explanation as to what will come once Saddam is dead. Iraq might get weapons of mass destruction some day...India HAS THEM NOW. Pakistan HAS THEM NOW. North Korea BUILDS THEM WITH OUR SUPPORT, because our intelligence community is too busy finding out which library books dark-skinned people check out. Israel HAS THEM NOW. South Africa HAD THEM, THEN DEMOLISHED THEIR PROGRAM, and no one in our intelligence community knew about it until many years later, only then because the post-apartheid government came clean. WE ACTUALLY USED THEM! And I'm only talking nuclear, you can do a hell of a lot of damage with a gun or a bomb or an airplane, paid for by our Saudi friends and our own tax dollars.

Okay, I did not mean for this to be a rant, I meant to just say I'm sad. But there it is. I suppose someone will come up to the plate. When the obituaries mention Ted Kennedy as Wellstone's closest ally in the Senate, that really makes me sad. But I'm sure something better will come around sometime. Now I have to go try to study Latin, that'll be a hoot.

No comments: