Tuesday, October 22, 2002

I saw Bowling for Columbine tonight. I like Michael Moore and the attention he brings to important issues, but I must admit his TV shows, in particular, could make me cringe. Never quite understood how embarassing a string of PR flacks was supposed to improve things. And from the things I'd heard about Columbine (the framing device of Charlton Heston, culminating in an interview of Heston by Moore; two survivors of Columbine try to return the bullets they were shot with to K-Mart, with the bullets still inside them), I was afraid it might be more gotcha journalism, not much better than the local news "problem-solvers" he himselve ridicules in one scene, which might be cathartic for some, but ultimately amounts to preaching to the converted.

Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Bowling for Columbine, Moore's greatest achievement in any medium, is a well-reasoned, impassioned examination of our violent culture and its possible roots. Columbine, September 11th, a school shooting in Moore's hometown of Flint, and more are all presented with a humanity (and a lack of exploitation) that only a master documentarian could manage. He doesn't pretend to have all the answers; though the media is a popular target (especially "Cops"), I think if you asked Moore what exactly is to blame for the overwealming amount of violence in our nation, he'd say he doesn't know. But he does know that we need to acknowledge that we have a major problem, and that marching to the site of the latest massacre to shout with a smirk, "My cold dead hands!" solves nothing (the most amazing aspect of the film is that it actually made me hate Charlton Heston more than before). I'm glad the film is doing so well, it deserves to be seen; I understand that Roger and Me is required viewing in many French schools, perhaps Bowling for Columbine will make its way to our schools. I'm sure it would do more good than more metal detectors or drug-sniffing dogs.

I also went to Dave & Busters today, before the movie (avoided the violent games for fear of guilt during the film, though it turns out the Canucks like violent games, too). I've always felt them a bit expensive, but its really not that bad a deal. The food is expensive, but the drinks on happy hour are a damn good deal, and I had a coupon, get $40 in credits for $20. And seeing as I'm a bit of a master of the one sliding game they have (I can get 3 7s almost every time, if I wanted to), and the prizes for the tickets are pretty nice (I actually got my PS2 there), its not a bad deal, especially if you can get a coupon, which seem to come out fairly regularly if you're on their mailing list. Anyway, I think I used to tell people, "That D&B, it looks fun, but its so damn expensive!" So I figured I should say I was wrong...it might cost a fair amount of money just for an evening out, but overall, especially if you hit them during happy hour, its a pretty good value for the money. Of course, I did get humiliated on one of the two pinball machines (if they had more pinball, and real pinball, not that 3-D nonsense, then it would rock), but I did give some stranger a whopping on the Tennis game. Fun times...another day not spent studying...

No comments: