Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Tanner had another seizure over the weekend. That makes two in the month of July. So I decided it was time Tanner became a pill-popper, and took the vet's advice to start him on Phenobarbital. He just took his first pill this morning, so it will take awhile to see if he suffers any adverse reactions, but so far, he seems okay. Had several coughing jags today, as he is prone to do, but I don't think that's because of the pills. The vet did send out some more blood work, so I'll know by the end of the week if that turned up anything. The emergency hospital did most of the blood work already, but my vet wanted to do one more test, for kidney problems. But given his age and breed, it's most likely epilepsy (epilepsy, unfortunately, can't be directly tested for, but is just assumed when no other cause can be found). The vet did say, if he goes a long time, like over a year, without a seizure, we might be able to ween him off the drugs, which made me happy. I'm sad for Tanner, and don't relish the thought of giving him pills twice a day for perpetuity, but I'm not too worried about his long-term health. As it is, the seizures seem more upsetting to me than to him.

No comments: