Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Went to Del Mar on Monday to play the ponies. Won $27. Hit a trifecta in the second race, but with two favorites in a six-way field, it only paid $22. Then I hit a quinella for $51 in the sixth. Should have won more than I did, but my favorite horse of the day, Lori M'Love, #1 in the fifth race, was running at good odds, and I figured it was a good race to pump some money on Lori to win, along with a fair amount of exotic wagers. Lori leads most of the way, has a wide lead going into the final stretch, only to get nudged out by a nose in a photo finish. And the horse that did it, Revillew Slew (road by Desmoreaux...should've known), wasn't in any of my exactas/trifectas, so no big payday there. And in the last race, I put a fair amount on a 23-1 shot, turns out there was a reason he was at those odds. Good thing it was the last race and the track is dark on Tuesdays, because I think he's still running that race.

On a related note, I finished the book Seabiscuit tonight. I enjoyed it, though more as light entertainment than as the triumph of the human (and equine) spirit it has often been portrayed to be. Looking forward to seeing the movie, though I have misgivings. Seems rather treakly.

No comments: