Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Sold my stock in Hasbro today, after it hit a 52-week high yesterday. 30% return in three months or so, can't complain about that. I bought it on the cheap, but was still nervous, I don't have much confidence in their management. I think I'm going to keep the proceeds of that sale liquid, because my emergency cash reserves were getting depleted (I've been spending a bit faster than its coming in). Looking around, there's not many bargains out there. Stanley Tools looks promising, however. A bit risky, though; its ironic that the old workhorses are becoming the big risks now. I remember taking a pounding after taking Spencer's advice and buying AT&T. Not to blame him; I took a bigger bath on IBM, all on my own. I'm strongly urging my mom to get out of IBM, but it's one of her larger stocks, and doing anything with it makes her nervous.

Still a bit ill, got out a bit, to get my mail and return some things to Radio Shack I had bought when I was trying to get the cable modem working. But mostly I've just been doing little things around the house, like reviewing my stocks. I like to think I picked up a little knowledge on the subject from my father, though I don't think I've ever heard him mention any of the stocks I own. But at the moment, all of my stocks are up, except for Adobe, which I'm about even on, and my portfolio as a whole is handily beating the S&P 500. I'll be curious to see if I can keep that up in the long haul, but it makes me feel good to know Dad would probably be happy with how I'm managing his money (and I'm sure he's glad I've paid off my high-interest debt I so dilligently hid from him).

Oh, and as long as I'm writing about finances, I might add I wrote my Senators to express my disgust about their sponsorship of legislation to prohibit the expensing of stock options. I also gave them a phone call today to urge them to push legislation to reverse the FCC ruling on media deregulation.

No comments: