Sunday, July 27, 2003

An excellent article on the California recall election. If you don't have a Salon subscription (and if you got $30 to blow, you really should), get the day pass by watching an ad, its a great, funny article. I believe I'm having a change of heart on the recall, at least to the extent that its now a fait accompli. I'm half-way through the book Seabiscuit (want to finish it before seeing the movie), and realize that maybe, just as the people then needed a distraction from the Great Depression and looming war, we today need a fun election to cheer us up after all the pointless political ramblings going on (God help me, I have a feeling Joe Lieberman may be the Democratic nominee...makes me sick to my stomach to think about it). The $30-$35 million price tag is cheap compared to the average Summer blockbuster, which don't seem to be doing the job anymore. And there's no consequences, really: The state was totally boned even without the election bill, and even if a total moron like Issa wins (the IQ comment in the link above was the funniest thing I've heard in awhile), they can't do too much harm, and will inheirit enough grief to guarantee them a defeat in 2004 (which is why I had thought Schwarzenneger would be smart enough not to run). So I say, bring it on. To quote the Salon article, "The recall drive is a little like those photos of Uday and Qusay -- they're horrifying, but you can't help wanting to look."

No comments: