Saturday, March 08, 2003

My foot feels better. It hurt a bit yesterday after I'd been walking on it for awhile, heading back to my car after class. But today it doesn't seem to hurt at all. Just the same, I'm taking it easy today. I'll try running on it tomorrow, and see what happens.

I made dinner last night for myself and my mom, which was fun. It didn't turn out all that great, seeing as I had to make several substitutions, but it was alright, and it felt good to cook again. Mom does most of the cooking, and while I did make a few things while she was up visiting my sister, I really hadn't cooked much since moving back home. It felt like I was reclaiming a part of my life I missed. I went to Ranch 99 today to get some of the ingredients I did without yesterday, and am cooking again today. Maybe I'll bake a cake sometime, dig up my recipe for Maple Walnut Pear Cake, it used to be a holiday tradition (if two, or possibly three, years can constitute a tradition) to make it.

I also went to the farmer's market in La Mesa Friday. Got some really good oranges, and some okay snap peas, and spinach that wasn't really that exciting. And a few avocadoes that won't be ripe for a week or so, so I will withhold judgement. Overall, it wasn't that exciting, not a whole lot of selection and fairly high prices, but the oranges are so good, I'll probably be back for them if nothing else.

I put in an order to buy more stock of Fannie Mae come Tuesday. I was going to buy Southwest Airlines as well, but its price shot up on Friday, so I think I'll wait and see if it comes down a bit. I've become rather obsessive about watching the market lately. Partly its the inheritance I'm getting from Dad; its not a fortune, mind you, but its enough to pay off my high-interest debt and still have enough for emergency savings, and still invest a bit. I really like Sharebuilder, even if you can only buy stocks once a week; $4 a trade is hard to beat. But I think its helping me deal with Dad's death, too. He obsessed over the market himself, and I think taking my time and picking quality stocks makes me feel like I'm communing with him, rather than just feeling his absence. I feel funny spending a lot of time reading and thinking about the market, since I like to think that money isn't that important to me (which is true, though I suppose the lack of money is important to me). But I think in the end, its just a coping mechanism for me, along with a feeling of responsibility, of being a good steward for the resources he has given me. I like to think he'd approve of my stocks, though he always seemed to go for more esoteric stocks, while I've stuck to things I know and understand. I'm not a complete expert on Fannie Mae, mind you, but I'm learning a lot about how their business works, and I have the nice feeling that by investing in them, I'm supporting Fannie Mae's mission of making home ownership an option for the underclass.

No comments: