Thursday, March 06, 2003

Finally got Tanner out for some exercise yesterday, with the improving weather. Monika and I took him to Lake Murray. Figured anyplace else would be too muddy. Tanner got to socialize with a few dogs, see a few ducks, and I got to hear Monika tell me about how great Ohio is (she's moving there in a month).

Today, I worked, then went for a run, but it didn't go too well. First five minutes or so I was in pain, my calves were tight and then my shoulder started aching. I ran through that, and felt okay for a few minutes, but I just didn't have the energy for the run I had planned. I wanted to work on speed, but I just didn't have enough fuel to push myself, even for a minute or two. So I ended up just doing a 25 minute run at a pretty easy pace. I was running late and just had a yogurt for breakfast, and had a Lean Cuisine dinner called "Chow Mein," but which contained no noodles, so I must be missing something. I had a power gel before I ran, but it wasn't enough to make up the calories I should have been eating all afternoon. I plan to add a run in the morning, to keep on track for the upcoming 10-K. It seems like a good excuse to skip swimming, in any event.

I also enjoyed spending time sorting through Dad's paperwork, trying to figure out how much he paid for the variable annuity my sister and I inherited, for our taxes. It's all rather confusing, and Mom insists on watching me and "helping," which just makes things far, far worse, and then she just gets upset, and makes it all much more stressful then it need be. But we got it worked out. Knowing how fast Vanguard is with things, I'm thinking the check for the annuity might be in the mail tomorrow, which will be nice, both because I'll have plenty of cash in my coffers and I'll be essentially done with the paperwork involving Dad's affairs (a bit more around tax time next year, but that's it).

I learned today at work that the "movie ride" they installed last Summer, which was supposed to be free to us, with the outside contractor paying all the operating expenses, actually cost the aquarium $60,000. And no one rides it. That gave me a good chuckle.

No comments: