Friday, March 07, 2003

I got up early this morning so I could fax some paperwork to my sister before she had to leave the office for a meeting, and then I went for a run. Like yesterday, I felt a real dearth of of energy at first (though I didn't have the tightness or pain I felt yesterday), and was concerned I was getting sick or overtraining, either of which would not be a good think with a race a week away. But after about 8 minutes or so, as I was heading home, I started feeling better, and decided not to cut my run short after all, and instead did some of the speed work I had intended to do yesterday. I didn't push myself quite as hard as I might, since I'm still somewhat concerned about my energy reserves for the 10-K, but my spirits were lifted. Going from about to quit to a respectably difficult run made me feel pretty good about myself. Then I stepped on a piece of wood with a nail in it. Hurt real bad for about two seconds, then it felt like my shoe was filling with blood. I wasn't far from home, so I just ran home real fast (I guess that counts as more speed work), and got my shoe off. Turns out there was very little blood, and the wound was a pretty clean in-and-out puncture wound, no tearing or anything. Still, it meant a trip to the doctors so I could get a tetanus shot. I don't know if I really needed it or not, but I'd rather pay $20 for a shot than end up with lockjaw. And now I'm covered for ten years. Of course, the wound can still get infected, but I think it'll be okay. Pisses me off, though, what sort of idiot leaves a board with a nail on it on the sidewalk? Dumbass.

Oh, I almost forgot...I didn't get to see my regular doctor, I saw his partner. He had a mullet. Did not exactly inspire confidence. I'm sorry, doctors (and lawyers and judges and nuclear physicists) of the world, but we expect more from you: Business up front, business all over. Leave the party in the rear to the truck drivers and tank wipes of the world.

No comments: