Saturday, November 09, 2002

With the somewhat nasty weather last night, I consider myself blessed that I got to drive all over the damn place. I said I would drop Chad off at the airport at 7, so I did that. Then I drove out to James' to play ping-pong (yet another exciting Friday night). Apparently that is all James and Pat do now, is play ping-pong until the wee hours. Then I get a call from Chad, who had agreed to give up his seat on the flight for $260 in credit with Southwest that expires in a year. Doesn't sound like that good a deal considering his friend had driven out to Sacremento to pick him up, and his luggage was already en route. But that was the decision he made, and I agreed to come back and pick him up again. The airport wasn't bad picking him up, but dropping him off the first time was brutal. I wouldn't think Veteran's Day would be that crazy, as three-day weekends go, but it looked like everyone was trying to get away, and the people dropping people off all were absolute morons. It was the first time I really understood why people hate the airport.

Anyway, eventually I got Chad back, and then went and played a rousing game of Spades with James and two people whose names I could not bother to learn (I really need to work on that, for some reason when I hear someone introducing someone it just doesn't occur to me to listen to what they're saying). James and I lost, but only because the other team was able to "shoot the moon" (to borrow a term from Hearts, I don't know if that's what it is referred to in Spades). Spades is fun, I hadn't played it in some time. Playing a card game with teams raises interesting strategies I don't consider when playing poker. I must get a poker night going sometime (which of course here means, "get someone to start a poker night, since it wouldn't be much fun playing poker in my parent's kitchen"). Chad was supposedly going to have one, but seems to have forgotten about it, I'll have to remind him.

No comments: