Thursday, July 12, 2007

The decline and fall of The Simpsons. Hard to argue with, though I would object to the claim that a single episode (Skinner-as-fraud) can mark the corruption of the series. I didn't mind that episode, in itself; the problem was, they'd been throwing that kind of crap at us for some time, and now they expect us to laugh good-naturedly when they crank the stupidity up to eleven. I don't have too much of a problem, in principle, with the various "concept episodes" (I actually thought the Seven-Up documentary parody was pretty good), but with the fact that now every episode is such. Looking over the last two seasons, I only see three episodes each season that were okay. To be fair, only three episodes between the two seasons would I describe as heinous, so that's an improvement over some seasons (there were actually five episodes I didn't see, which is quite telling--there was a time when that would not stand). Anyway, the point is, I'm cautiously excited to see the movie, but judging from the trailer, I don't necessarily think this excitement is warranted.

No comments: