Wednesday, June 18, 2003

What have I been up to since finals? Not much. Ran in a 5K for the San Diego Blood Bank. My official time was 22:13, though I thought the clock said 22:10. Either one is good, considering the disorganized starting line and the crowd getting out of Embarcadero Park. It was a fun race, though, and they provided a lot of good food before and after the race. Other than that, I've just been taking a laid-back approach to beginning summer. I just try to get at least one thing done that needs to get done. Today I got an oil change and my tires rotated. I used to take my car to Valvoline, until they charged me for work they didn't do, which pissed me off, naturally. Then I was going to Jiffy Lube, which did good work, and just as important, didn't try to sell me things I didn't need. I recommended it to quite a few people. But then that changed, and the last two times I went there, they were trying to get me to pay out hundreds of dollars in unnecessary work (which I wouldn't get even if it was necessary, since I was already shopping for a new car). Then they really screwed my mother the last time she went in. I decided I'd rather not do business with people who rip off widows, so for my new car, I've been taking it to the Toyota dealership. They try to sell you a bit more than you need, but they're low-key about it: they advertise various services in their advertizing and signage (I'm sorry, but I'm not getting new spark plugs every 15,000 miles), but if you just ask for an oil change, you just get an oil change. I got an oil change and tire rotation for $50. It took a half-hour (half the time they had promised), and they gave me two Padres tickets for coming in. My last oil change was free, for buying the car from them, and every fifth oil change is free. I believe they want $26 just for an oil change, so when you consider the perks, its actually cheaper than the Jiffy Lube and Valvoline scum.

No comments: