Sunday, June 01, 2003

I was reading another article on the FCC's deregulation drive (the big vote is tomorrow, apparently), and it was the same old stuff, which again made me wonder: Does the FCC really have that much of a choice? I hate the idea, and I hate the anti-democratic way the FCC is going about what will have a horrendous impact on our media in this country, but haven't the courts forced them to this? Court rulings have repeatedly said, if the FCC cannot justify these rules about ownership, they have to go. I completely disagree that these rules are not justifiable, but if the FCC has lost in court and is to some degree being forced to approve these changes, shouldn't we be a little easier on them? Again, I think these rule changes are disasterous, but I haven't read an article critical of them that has really dealt with these court rulings.

No comments: