Friday, June 27, 2003

Strom Thurmund, dead at 100, just days after Lestor Maddox died at the age of 87. As Randy Newman observed of Maddox, "It just goes to prove, only the good die young." (Newman and his song "Rednecks" were actually mentioned in at least one Maddox obituary, that made me smile)

Chad, recently laid off as a teacher in Lemon Grove, has accepted a position to teach in South Korea, for the Department of Defense. I can't quite imagine it, he doesn't strike me as the type able to cope well with foreign environments, but it should be an exciting opportunity for him, force him to go beyond his comfort zone. I just know that Chad has at one point deeply offended just about everyone he's ever met, so I don't know how he will fare in a society which puts an emphasis on decorum and honor. Not to mention the nearby demilitarized zone and all. But it pays well, and will give him experiences he never would have had otherwise.

I got The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time in the mail today. I've read the first fifty pages or so, it's enjoyable. I'll write more about it once I've finished it.

No comments: