Thursday, March 04, 2004

I had been using Providian as my credit card provider of choice, because of their generous rewards program. Basically worked out to getting 2% back in the form of gift certificates, figuring in the double-points promo they offered for the first twelve months. However, after only having the card about six months, they appear to have cancelled their rewards program. They sent me a change of terms a few months back, which after reading once, I thought said they were cancelling the program, but after reading the legal mumbo-jumbo, decided I had mis-read it and they were merely changing how points expire or something like that (I unfortunately can't find the notice). But my latest statement has no mention of my points earned, and all references to the program have disappeared from their web site. Bastards.

Unfortunately, I recently maxed out my other primary credit card, because they offered me 0% APR until November. So how could I turn down free money? So now I have to decide what credit card to use. My Amazon-branded card seems the most obvious choice, except that I only have a $500 limit. When you figure rent on my storage unit, my cell phone bill, and gas commuting to La Jolla on a daily basis, plus meals and other incidentals, it's not that hard to hit the limit in a month. So I'll have to use my REI-branded card as a back-up, but I'm a bit leery of them, as it is now March and I have not received my dividend for purchases made in REI in 2003 (which should be sizable, I bought a new backpack and hiking boots, and a pocket knife and other smaller purchases, plus a $10 bonus for signing up for their credit card). But hopefully I'll get another 0% balance transfer offer in the mail, so I can unload the balance on my Chase card, which pays 1% cash back on all purchases, and 3% on gas purchases (with gas at about $2.20 in San Diego, that could add up).

Of course, if my luck holds, who cares about 1% here and there. Won $100 at Viejas on Wednesday. Insane how some people play Omaha. I probably could have won a lot more if I stayed, but I had played about 5 hours, and felt ready to leave.

No comments: