Friday, April 18, 2003

Went to Viejas with Mom today. Won $200 playing Omaha. First time I'd won at poker for awhile. I think the poker room is going downhill there. They haven't had a 3-6 Stud/8 game (my favorite) going in all the times I've gone recently, and on most weekdays they've had very few games of any kind going. I got a letter in the mail, because I hadn't been to Viejas in almost a year, offering me 5000 points in their player's club (worth $50 in food) for playing in the poker room ten hours this month. I finally logged the tenth hour today, but forgot the coupon, so I'll have to claim it next time.

Before going to Viejas, I went to the Boardwalk Arcade, played the new Simpsons Pinball Party game. I give it an unqualified thumbs up. Stern does good work, for the most part (even the Rollercoaster Tycoon pinball game is growing on me), and this is at least on par with Monopoly, and may even surpass it (I'll need to log some more playing time before deciding). I wish Aquarius Roll-A-Rena was still around, and they still had the old Simpsons pinball game, so I could compare the two. I remember enjoying it as a youngster. Rather Bart-centered, I think. The new one is more Homer-centered, as is to be expected. All the voices are there; my favorite is when you make the Kwik-E-Mart skill shot, Apu sometimes is heard to remark, "You must be a yogi of some kind," or "must you always be so good," the words I've always longed to hear Apu say of me. I realize pinball is waning in popularity these days, but I would think this game would get wide distribution due to its theme; I highly recommend you seek it out.

Been listening to the new White Stripes album. It's about as excellent as the reviews all suggest. I got Blender magazine in the mail (I somehow get Blender, Stuff, and Maxim--I swear I did not subscribe and have never paid for any of them, they just keep coming for some reason...padding subscription numbers for advertizers?) the other day, they were on the cover. I haven't read the article, I imagine it will disturb me, but it does make me feel at least slightly in tune with my generation. I always feel a little special glee in liking something hip for a change. I couldn't help but notice no one my age was waiting in line for Lyle Lovett tickets the other day. But I digress. It's a great album. I especially enjoyed the songs with Meg singing, "In the Cold, Cold Night" and "It's True That We Love One Another." And "Seven Nation Army," with its deep bass line, is great for driving home after a long day.

No comments: