Monday, April 21, 2003

I saw A Mighty Wind this evening, and enjoyed it very much. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as Guffman, Spinal Tap, and Best in Show, but I still highly recommend it. It is different from the other films in that, while I think there is some degree of sympathy in all of those films, A Mighty Wind really seems to not only have sympathy for its subjects, but respect. The songs are carefully crafted, and are more pastiche than parody. Unfortunately, since the songs don't carry the humor of the film, I think they were neglected a bit. The film could have had more music; it should have been longer and shown much more of the final climactic concert. But its still a great film, with lots of little touches and little moments. I think they are really catering more to their fans, with little things you might miss the first time through (I'm going again), and foregoing some of the bigger laughs. Eugene Levy shines as always, in a role very different from anything I've ever seen him do. Catherine O'Hara is a great singer, it turns out. Fred Willard's broad comedy helps give the film some belly-laughs. Jennifer Coolidge, in a very small role, has some of the most memorable moments; for the benefit of those who have not yet seen it, I'll just say, when she says, "Thank God for model trains," brace yourself for what follows. When I saw the Folksmen in Los Angeles, at the Harry Smith Project, I remember being upset that Elvis Costello chose to perform the same song as Van Dyke Parks (a man with much greater folk credentials); I like to think they agreed with me, and incorporated that into the film. I would have liked to see more of the Folksmen, incidentally; the film is weighed heavily to the story of Mitch and Mickey. Which is fine, but not when it means that the Folksmen don't even get to perform "Blood on the Coal" (thank God it's on the soundtrack album, which I will be ordering on-line tonight). Great film.

No comments: