Thursday, September 08, 2005

If you're anything like me, I doubt you took any notice of the release of Walt Disney's Timeless Tales Vol. 2. But I was reading a review, and learned that the title was selected to keep anyone from noticing that The Wind in the Willows is the cornerstone of the DVD release. And "Ferdinand The Bull" is included as well, along with some other less thrilling shorts. I think The Wind in the Willows was probably the second-most-watched movie of my childhood, behind Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (I'm pretty sure they both beat out Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, but it's close). As much as I hate giving Disney money (especially with the annoying trailers they tack on the front of their DVDs), I think my new niece (due in scant weeks) will find one under the Christmas tree, and I might pick up one for myself, too.

Update: Reading the user reviews at Amazon, I learn that Disney's odd titling of this release is apparently intended to obscure the fact that there's nothing new here. I was unaware that The Wind in the Willows was already available on DVD because it is called The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. I know I've seen Ichabod and was reasonably entertained as a child; I did not realize it was bundled with Mr. Toad as one feature. So Disney has re-released (the better) half of a film, tacked on a few shorts already available in DVD collections, and attempted to make more money. You don't get the "Ferdinand" short with the Ichabod/Toad release, but a review from a site I'm unfamiliar with claims the trailers can be skipped with one touch of the menu button on the older release, so that's probably the one I'll go with. Though the new DVD seems to get higher marks for audio/visual quality. Thank you, Disney, for being such douchebags that even when you put out something I want, you do everything you can to keep me from buying it.

No comments: