Tuesday, May 04, 2004

It's cooler today then the last few days, thank God. I went to the Adams Avenue Roots Festival on Sunday, but only stayed about an hour, because it was just too hot. My car thermometer said it was 110 degrees, but I think it's not particularly reliable. But over 100, I'm sure.

On Saturday night, I went up to Orange County to see Urinetown. Orange County always gives me the heebie-jeebies, so I was relieved to take my seat in the dark theater and forget where I was. I was not too familiar with Urinetown, knew the general premise, and had heard "Don't Be the Bunny," but that was about it. It was refreshing to come into a musical as a blank slate, and I enjoyed the experience very much. At first, I was a bit concerned that it was too clever for its own good, with the self-referential narration and self-mockery. But it was really great, adroit enough musically that it earned the right to add the post-modern bells and whistles. Best musical I've seen since Sweeny Todd, and Sondheim-esque in its own right, I would say. And on the way out, the actors were hawking Urinetown toilet paper, to raise money for charity, so I bought myself a roll. I hope it comes to San Diego sometime, so I can see it again.

School is in full swing now. Fallen a bit behind in Anna Karinina, and it's going to be hard to get caught up, because I have to present an outline of my presentation for the same class this week. But my midterm went okay, and my papers aren't due until tenth week, and then I have a whole summer to relax. So I can't complain.

In addition to friendster, I am now on orkut, so any of you on that social networking service who wish to pad their accounts, feel free to invite me. It's fun!

No comments: