Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I finally saw Shaolin Soccer, now that it finally got a theatrical release. Edited extensively, from what I understand, but subtitled (I believe it is being released dubbed in most markets). Not as much fun as God of Cookery, but worth seeing. I'll have to get ahold of the DVD (my sister has the import), though I understand the good people at Disney/Miramax are being a bunch of doushebags about keeping the DVDs unavailable. I had a nice article on the struggles Shaolin Soccer faced in getting released, but now I can't find it (didn't save the e-mail, this is the sort of situation when gmail would come in handy).

More exciting then the film itself, though, was one of the trailers beforehand (I guess when you show 15 minutes of trailers, you're bound to hit the mark at least once). Coming soon, Takeshi Kitano's Zaitochi, the Blind Swordsman. A change of pace for him, a bit, at least as a director (it doesn't look from the trailer that he's become particularly verbose, though, since it is a subtitled movie, they don't depict any dialogue in the trailer). A shame Dolls isn't being released as well (at least as far as I know). Though hopefully I'll be able to pick up a regionless DVD at Comic-Con this year.

Got Loretta Lynn's new CD. Not bad, but a bit of a disappointment. Tries a little too hard, has Jack White's fingerprints on it a bit thick at times. But some great songs. "Miss Being Mrs." is probably my favorite.

No comments: