Sunday, August 31, 2003

One interesting tidbit I forgot to mention in my vacation post. I was staying at the Eureka Inn, and on Tuesday, on my way up to the parks, I stopped at a gas station, and noticed the headline on the local paper, that the owner of the Eureka Inn had been charged with misappropriation of funds (apparently a more serious charge than embezzelment). Apparently the $9 a night in room taxes I paid, the owner of the Inn had been keeping that money for himself. He of course thinks its an outrage that he's been charged with a crime, when he's offered to pay back the money he stole. So he's the real victim here. Services at the hotel seemed unaffected by the charges. Though the hotel services guide claimed I could buy stamps at the front desk, yet when I tried to, was told by the desk clerk she had no stamps. Which was for the best, because the post office was an impressive building, and I was glad I had a chance to see it.

No comments: