Sunday, May 25, 2003

In reading the latest issue of "Pants," a newsletter dedicated to Randy Newman, I learned that the re-issue of Randy Newman's Faust, which includes an excellent demo album, has sold a whopping 486 copies in its first two months of release. I blame the marketing of it, and an indifferent press; I consider myself a rather rabid fan, and was unaware of its existence until a week or two after it was released. I highly recommend it; if you had an opportunity to see the musical performed, the demo disc will take you back; if not, you can imagine what it would have been like (since its unlikely you'll ever have a chance to see it live). I'm not a huge fan of demos (if I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't have bought Good Old Boys again), but in this situation, the demos add a lot to one's appreciation of the work.

No comments: