Wednesday, May 28, 2003

I used to think it was cute when Tanner would wrinkle his brow and cock his head, giving me his "what the hell are you doing?" look. Now I'm beginning to think its a sad thing, that even my dog doesn't understand me.

Tanner is enjoying the aviary adventures in his back yard, though. It seems like our back yard is a beacon to sick or injured birds. Today it was a crow with a bad leg. Fortunately I had stopped to watch Tanner stalk it, or Tanner would have probably caught it, but I stopped him. Eventually, the crow got airborne fairly well (I don't understand why a bum leg would interfere with flight), and flew away, though he didn't gain enough altitute to clear my neighbor's satellite dish. We've found two dead birds in the last two months, and we also rescued a little brown bird, literally in Tanner's maw, and let him recuperate before placing him in a pet-less neighbor's yard. Tanner enjoyed that bird's company, he didn't try to hurt it, just enjoyed hauling him around.

Got my econ midterm back. 75 (out of 100), which is a B+ (which speaks volumes for how the class as a whole scored). The professor seemed displeased. I actually got virtually 100% on the short answer section, which shocked the hell out of me. If I had the proper CD-ROM and had studied the practice multiple-choice questions, I probably would now be coasting to an easy A.

I have just about finished reading the first issue of The Believer. Haven't had a whole lot of time to read it, so of course now, with a presentation to give on Monday and finals right after that, I figured now was a good time to get caught up on my non-academic reading. (I almost spent the day re-reading Double Down: Reflections on Gambling and Loss, but decided better of it--better to wait until school was out and I could take my time revisiting it in the light of recent events). It is an interesting publication, nothing too gripping in the first issue so far, but I did just read a conversation between Terry Gilliam and Salman Rushdie, and enjoyed it immensely. Gilliam speaks a bit about the fight over Brazil, and in talking about his aborted version of Don Quixote has some interesting points about the novel. And in another article I learned that Daniel Handler is still working on the Lemony Sickett books, I had thought the series was completed. I'm looking forward to finishing the issue tomorrow at work; the interview with The Royal Tenenbaum's Kumar Pallana should make the long, agonizing days go faster.

Work is fine, I've just been there a lot. Actually only worked one extra shift, but when you only get one free day between work and school, one extra work day can be draining.

No comments: