Saturday, January 29, 2005

Poor Tanner's condition keeps getting better and worse. He was doing fine until Wednesday night. He got up around one, and threw up twice in short order. While I was cleaning that up, he went outside, where it was sprinkling a bit. When I went to let him in, he slowly started moving towards the door, like he was in slow motion. It probably took a whole minute just to put one foot forward. After a few steps like that, he just sat down in the rain and wouldn't move. I thought maybe he felt he was going to be sick again, so I didn't want to force him inside, so I got a book, and gave him about fifteen minutes to come in on his own, but he never budged. And during all this, he was trembling something fierce. Finally, I carried him in to bed, but he was still trembling, though that seemed to subside a bit when I turned him on his side. But in the morning, he was fine, so we decided just to stop giving him the pain pill he was taking, and figured that it was just a reaction to the drug. But then Thursday night, he wouldn't eat, and was trembling again, and later started moving real slow, just looking drugged out. So we called the vet Friday morning, but that morning he seemed fine, and woke up hungry. So the vet made us a late appointment Friday, and said if we decided he was okay, we could cancel it. He semeed fine, so we did. He started trembling a bit Friday night, but it was a tad cold, so maybe that was all that was. Now he seems fine, except we haven't been able to find anywhere in the back yard where he's gone number two. So that is unsettling. But we have our fingers crossed that Tanner is well along the road to recovery. At the very least, whatever was causing him pain last week seems no longer to be an issue.

Not much going on around here besides Tanner. Mom's birthday was yesterday, I got her Everybody Loves Raymond on DVD, my sister got her a collection of DVDs about the Boston Celtics, and some books. We were going to go to happy hour at Claim Jumpers on Thursday, but with the dog's health issues, decided against it. I saw The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou last week. I enjoyed it well enough, though I didn't connect with it like I have some of his previous films. I would go on, but I watched The Good, the Bad and the Ugly the other night, and that tends to wipe all other films from my mind. My fitness resolutions for the new year are going along at a reasonable pace. Lost five pounds this month, and am gradually increasing my milage running. But I have been having trouble sleeping, which leads to a decrease in energy, which is holding me back a bit. But that seems to have improved just over the last few nights, so hopefully, especially as I get more exercise, my sleep habits will improve. I've had insomnia most my life, but have made great strides in eliminating it; I'd hate to have that monkey on my back again.

No comments: