Friday, December 31, 2004

A very happy new year to you all. This is of course the traditional time for resolutions, and I have decided to follow the old tried and true, and resolve to lose weight and get fitter. Actually, my goal is simply to get back in the physical state I was in at the end of 2003, which seems a reasonable enough goal. I can of course blame some of my decline in quality on my foot problems this summer, which led to me not running at all for about two months, and limiting my running for even longer. I am gradually getting back to a regular, vigorous running program, and intend to start running some races for motivation. I've also been watching what I eat a bit, by keeping a food journal at FitDay. I eat what I want, pretty much, but if I know I'm going to have to log it in, I tend to make somewhat better choices, and am more conscious of portion sizes. I'm at 230 pounds at the moment (I'm 6'2", though I often claim 6'3"), so that's heavy, but not morbidly obese or anything. In 2003, I got as low at 185 at one point (yes, I gained 40 pounds this year), but I'd be happy with anything under 200.

Any other resolutions? I suppose I'd like to make school a higher priority this year. And read more books for pleasure. But I figure physical fitness is a worthy goal to focus my self-improvement efforts towards. I guess I can resolve to not be so boring, but I don't really think you can do anything about that. I suppose I can say I'll stop buying more DVDs when I have so many I haven't watched, but I doubt I'll keep that one.

No comments: