Thursday, February 26, 2004

Just the other day, I was lamenting the loss of my Master Shake air freshener, which I neglected to remove when I traded in my old car. I'm hoping maybe I can get a new one if I attend this Adult Swim screening at SDSU next month. Could be lame, but even that would be fun in a way. Odd to have this in San Diego a few months before Comic-Con. I remember attending a screening of Mystery Science Theater 3000 at the Science Theater in Balboa Park. I believe there were about 6 people in attendance, including my group. And the other people seemed to have no idea what the hell they were watching. But still it was a fun time.

I skipped out of my last class yesterday (how uncharacteristic of me) and went to Viejas. Won $60. Had a nice run at Omaha, I forgot just how badly people play that game at the low limits. They can find a reason to play just about any hand. One embarassing hand, I bet the set I flopped, then bet into a raiser when I made a full house on the turn. I show my hand at the showdown, turns out I had a pair of 7s, not the pair of 8s I thought I had. Luckily a 7 came on the river, so I ended up making a full house after all, and still won the pot. But I looked like a jackass, betting strongly with two pair. I left soon after that. But I did alright, and got a nice refresher about Omaha. Unlike stud, they usually have a good selection of Omaha games going, and its easier to make money at the low limits because people make more, and more costly, mistakes. Though I can't really talk, with my forgetting if I had 7s or 8s. I went on Wednesday because of a promotion they have every Wednesday at Viejas, where if anytime during the 24-hour period a jackpot is hit in the poker room (stud low and Omaha mini-jackpot not included), everyone playing poker receives $100. I thought the poker room would be busy because of this, but I was wrong. When I got there around noon, there were a fair number of tables going, about 10 or 12, due to players staying after the morning tournament, but not long after I took my seat, there were only 6 tables going. Which means the odds of hitting a jackpot somewhere weren't that much better than being involved in it myself, and considering I haven't seen a poker jackpot in probably over two years, its hard to get too excited over the promotion. But it's better than a kick in the head, I suppose.

No comments: