Sunday, February 22, 2004

I saw Touching the Void on Thursday. I was unsure what I would think, afraid the reenactments might be tacky, but hopeful that the cinematography would be impressive. As it turns out, the reenactments were quite well done, but the cinematography didn't stand out too much from previous mountain documentaries I have seen. Which is a good thing, it turns out. While I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to shoot, for the most part, the terrain doesn't overcome the story of these two men struggling for their lives. There were some quite impressive shots, but ultimately it wasn't what the movie was about. I must add, the most disturbing thing about that evening was seeing that Landmark is now showing 6 trailers before their film. Good God.

Friday I saw Macbeth at the Sledgehammer Theatre. Macbeth isn't one of my favorites, but I thought it was a good performance, if not outstanding in any respect. Both Macbeth and Lady Macbeth were mediocre, and only the actor who played Duncan (among other parts) really stood out, as did the actress playing Banquo, I suppose. But like everything I've seen at the Sledgehammer, the staging and direction were strong, and I enjoyed myself.

Last night, I went to Viejas. Lost $85 playing Hold 'em (I'm learning the game...thanks to the World Poker Tour, it's now more popular than ever, and the wait for a higher-limit stud game gets longer and longer, it seems, so I need something to do while I wait) and broke even at Stud. I played Stud with what I think I can honestly say is the most repulsive man I've ever seen. For a little while, I thought it was the ugliest woman I'd ever seen, but eventually I figured it out. Really just disturbing to be sitting anywhere near him, as he sat in his shorty-shorts with a huge paunch threatening to cause an obscene avalanche. A porter asked a question, whether he was done with his drink or something, and he got offended, said he thought the guy was queer. As if any human being could desire to touch him. And he was just a crude, nasty person, and drank about $40 worth of liquor while I was at the table. I would have liked to play longer as he got drunker, but my mother invited herself along with me and wanted to go home. I was one card away from winning about $6500, when I had an A-2-3-4 of diamonds, and T.K. made a higher straight flush. But no 5 of diamonds on the river. So I left that table even. But I did have a nice meal, got some practice at Hold 'em (I lost almost all of the $85 on one hand, two top pair against a set, in a kill pot) and cashed in a $10 in players club credits coupon they had sent me. Had an okay time, considering I lost.

No comments: