Friday, May 26, 2006

Another highly addictive internet time-waster. Visual instead of audio, this time.

It seems like there are all sorts of odd things on the internet that are as addictive as crack cocaine, which reminds me of something I only just this week noticed, reading Wil Weaton's account of E3. Wil Wheaton writes about many things, but video games are a major beat of his. And I thought it odd that he played Wesley Crusher, who in one canonical episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, saved the crew of the Enterprise after they had all been brainwashed by a high-tech futuristic video game (which actually looks primitive compared to the latest XBox 360 games). Could it be that the episode was not, in fact, fiction, but that Crusher actually succomed to the addictive Tetrisesque video game, was sent back in time, and now is trying to soften us up for the inevitable invasion by reminding us how fun Root Beer Tapper was to play as a kid? Don't say I didn't warn you.

And given that neither Wil Wheaton nor Star Trek has much of a web presence, I'm sure I'm the first person ever to think about this.

Oh, and I never did mention E3. I'm sure those who are interested in such things read the news coverage and don't need me pointing it out. I'll just say I was very excited to see Nintendo do so well and Sony so poorly. I will be buying a Wii, and definately not buying a P3. I am pseudo-boycotting Sony (I did buy the Dixie Chicks new album--not bad--and will be picking up the new Johnny Cash collection soon, I'm sure), so it is nice that they made such a mediocre product at such a ridiculously high price. I'm actually half-tempted to get an XBox 360, just because the online stuff looks tempting, but I'll wait to see what the Wii's online library will be like. And I really can't justify spending that kind of money. I'm hoping the Wii is $199, but if it does come in at $249, I could just barely justify that, but I couldn't justify that and another game system. Anyway, kudos to Nintendo for putting on a good show, and I hope their success carries over to the marketplace.

No comments: