Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Anna Karinina is this summer's selection in Oprah's book club. I wonder if Oprah is aware of Tolstoy's problems with women? Though I suppose the book's message, that if a woman doesn't have lots and lots of babies, she will go down a road to ruin, might appeal to some of Oprah's core audience. And if I decide to give Oprah my e-mail address, I can access some reading aids which might be useful for my final exam next week.

And in fairness, it's easy to make fun of Oprah, but if the woman can get millions of housewives to read Anna Karinina this summer, I think she deserves props for that. And looking at her web site, it appears that One Hundred Years of Solitude was the previous selection; that's pretty cool (though I would have thought Love in the Time of Cholera would have been more suited to her audience).

No comments: