Tuesday, April 13, 2004

I've been so tired lately. Slept in to 10 on Monday, but still lagging from Sunday, I guess. And yesterday I wasn't feeling good. Was going to go see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind yesterday, but thought better of it after throwing up in the mall's parking lot. But instead of going home, I just drove around for an hour or so. Not sure why, and it was sort of stupid considering gas is close to $2.20/gallon. I was listening to the Nellie McKay CD that everyone is talking about, which came in the mail yesterday. I must say I just love it, at least judging from the first disc, haven't listened to the second yet. But really amazing stuff. It first caught my attention because I have a Google News alert set up to search for Randy Newman, and it kept e-mailing me about reviews of the album, because Randy Newman was mentioned in a lot of them. Seems a little bit of a stretch, but I guess there is a similar mix of cynicism and hope, biting lyrics with melodies that hearken back to an earlier time. And I suppose it's just as enlightening a comparison as the one on the sticker on the CD, that proclaimed her a combination of Doris Day and Eminem. Perhaps I'll say more after I've listened to the whole thing, but since the critics seem to be falling over themselves praising her, what could I add, really?

No comments: