Sunday, July 08, 2007

In what will no doubt be a semi-regular feature of this blog, I bring you the Wii/Jenga Confluence News of the Week (WJCNotW):

Yes, the rumors are true, Jenga is coming to the Wii (and the DS).

Also, the first details of Stephen Spielberg's video game projects are emerging, and apparently his Wii game will be a cross between Saturday morning cartoons and, um, Jenga. Sounds like a bad mix to me; once I've watched Pee-Wee's Playhouse and consumed six bowls of Cookie Crisp cereal, my hands are far too jittery for Jenga.

So, yeah, Jenga as a video game concept? I'm not so sure. Unless they can really master the subtleties of the tactile experience via force feedback, so you can tell by touch which pieces can safely be moved, I don't think the experience will be the same. That said, I would buy two Playstation 3s (one to serve as emergency Jenga backup) if it allowed me to play virtual Jenga. The whole concept is just so wrong, and yet so right.

As for Spielberg's invocation of Jenga, I think he is just trying to take the wind out of the sails of Atari's announced Jenga game, no doubt as an act of revenge against the company for the E.T. debacle.

No comments: