Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I should be outraged by this, but I just can't quite manage. Has my sense of moral indignation finally short-circuited? I guess it's just because the music isn't that bad. "Uncontrollable Urge" is the only song I listened to that actually seemed painfully bad. Hard not to tap one's feet to "That's Good," whoever's performing it. The whole enterprise reminds me of that band A*Teens that released an ABBA cover album some years back, which I believe was selected as the least-essential album of the year by The Onion. I do like to think of the music of Devo as having a bit more integrity that that of ABBA (no slight to ABBA, I enjoy both bands very much). But the two cover projects seem related in that it's hard to hate either. But you have to wonder: Why? Especially in this case, as not only does this album not really add anything to the music, but what is the financial motivation? I mean, really, does Disney think that Devo-fever is about to overwhelm the country's eight-year-olds? It just really seems like a hard sell to kids. "Hey, kids, do you like Rugrats? Then buy this album of kids singing songs from the old band of the guy who wrote the theme song to that album, while wearing funny hats!"

The more I listen to this, the more I feel my old friend indignation rising up in my gullet. But hey, I guess this is just part of the path of deevolution. It's no worse than the time American Idol used "Whip It" with crass product placement to sell cars. This time, the motive is just to get little boys and girls dancing to the hits of Devo. Good luck, Disney.

No comments: