Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Tanner's doing okay. No repeats of the fit he had the other day. So hopefully we can put that behind us. Me, I feel a bit crappy. Having trouble sleeping, and hit with a headache and earache yesterday. Got a decent run in yesterday, though. Hopefully if I can keep that up, and build up enough milege to run strong in the Race for Literacy 8K (I'd like to know the story why "Dr. Seuss" got dropped from the name), that should show in an improvement in my sleep habits.

I'm in the midst of a 10-day free trial of GameBlast at Shockwave.com, which I guess the Adobe/Macromedia merger means I'm an investor in, as well (I also recently learned my Adobe stock ownership means I have an extremely small stake in Salon.com, to which I subscribe). They recently started offering Oasis, a game I grew fairly addicted to during its beta testing period. Unfortuantely, I've cooled on it a bit while waiting for it to be released. But it's still a fun game, and worth a try (I recommend the 10-day free trial, though that requires a credit card number...the no-strings-attached one hour of free play is okay, but I think it takes a good twenty or thirty minutes just to get the basics down). For games of this caliber, Oasis is a very complex and involving game, yet still simple enough to reward the intermittent game play associated with these cheap downloadable games. I haven't found any other games that really grab me, so I don't think I'll stay with a paid subscription when my free trial runs out, though I might just for one month, to get a discount on purchasing a unlimited license to Oasis. Jewel Quest and Diner Dash are fun, though I think Diner Dash's appeal is wearing off, especially once you figure out that earning a high score requires a formulaic strategy that is pretty simple (and boring) to implement. The poker game is pretty easy to beat, as well. But there are a lot of games to explore, and if I didn't think I waste enough time as it is, I might consider a membership at less than $10 a month.

The Mutts website has a decent Mother's Day offer. Purchase the limited edition Mother's Day print for $150 and get free stationary, or purchase the basic edition for $35, and get a button. The way the offer is worded, it appeared that you get the stationary with either purchase, which would have been fantastic, but that is not the case. So now I'm not certain if that's what I'll get my mom, since $35 for a comic strip I don't believe she is aware of might be an odd gift. But it is a sweet strip. And speaking of sweet strips....

No comments: